SPAM on List...

Tomasz Ciolek tmc at dreamcraft.com.au
Wed Dec 11 23:00:26 EST 2002

yes.... but most RFC complaint mailers will append the plaintext version
of the email as well as the HTML version.

Rgerads
Tomasz Ciolek
On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 03:12:25PM -0700, tim.conway at philips.com wrote:
> One word of warning on assuming all html mail is bad.  Some of us are on
> corporate email systems, subject to pointless arbitrary changes to our
> settings.  About a year ago, my preferences in Lotus Notes (a bad database
> program masquerading as a worse mail program) were modified to have me
> send mail to the internet in html format.  I didn't even know it was
> happening, until i started getting nasty messages from people's mail
> systems saying my mail was being rejected because it contained html
> formatting, on which point I threw myself a message to my home address to
> verify it, and searched out the preferences setting to turn it back to
> text....
> ...Point being, if we do decide to reject all html-formatted email, let's
> have it bounce with explanation, not just fall into a black hole.
> It saddens me to know that blocking all of Korea is the right thing to do.
>  Maybe if more things like this
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/12/06/1554227&mode=thread&tid=133
> happen, things will change.
>
> Tim Conway
> conway.tim at spilihp.com reorder name and reverse domain
> 303.682.4917 office, 303.921.0301 cell
> Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
> 1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
> Longmont, CO 80501
> Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, caesupport2 on AIM
> "There are some who call me.... Tim?"
>

> Christopher Sawtell <csawtell at paradise.net.nz>
> Sent by:
> rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
> 12/10/02 03:08 PM
>

>         To:     rsync at lists.samba.org
>         cc:     (bcc: Tim Conway/LMT/SC/PHILIPS)
>         Subject:        Re: SPAM on List...
>         Classification:
>

> Greetings list admins
>
> I'd just like to add that as almost all the SPAM I receive is HTML, a very
>
> effective way to get rid of a very large fraction of spam would be to
> refuse
> all HTML posts. I've not seen any genuine posts to this list which have
> been
> web pages.
>
> --
> Sincerely etc.,
> Christopher Sawtell
> --

Tomasz M. Ciolek	*
			* 	Everything falls under the law of change;
<tmc at dreamcraft.com.au>	*	  Like a dream, a phantom, a bubble, a shadow,
<tmc at goldweb.com.au>	*	  like dew of flash of lightning.
			*	  You should contemplate like this.