SPAM on List...

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Dec 9 04:24:00 EST 2002

On 15 Nov 2002, Tim Potter <tpot at samba.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 09:05:27PM -0500, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
> > The SAMBA-TECHNICAL list reported that they have gone to the
> > bl.spamcop.net blocking list, and it has been relatively spam free since
> > then.  The bl.spamcop.net is an aggressive blocking list with a quick
> > trigger.
>
> We did start using spamcop for a while but there was way to much
> collateral damage inflicted on innocent parties.  For example we missed
> several offers of free hosting for the samba.org main server.

And dp.samba.org (aka lists.samba.org) has an IP that is blacklisted
by some people...

IP-based blacklisting is too coarse a tool, and it makes it hard to
make exceptions for people who really are not spammers, even if
initially classified as such.

News reports say that spam has more than tripled in the last year,
which seems anecdotally true.  I think we're actually getting more
accurate classification, it's just that the numbers are larger.

--
Martin