My first rsync experience

Dave Dykstra dwd at drdykstra.us
Thu Dec 5 21:16:00 EST 2002

First, as a newbie you should be aware that a lot of people think they
need to use daemon mode when they can do fine with the much simpler normal
rsh or ssh mode, so make sure you really do need it.  Second, if you do
need it, make sure you can do 'telnet servername 873' and get a response,
otherwise your server isn't running at all; it usually helps to set up a
"log file" and look for errors there.  Third, when the server is running
you'll need to either specify a specific file or pass some options from
the client such as "-a".  When I use the example you gave I get the error

    client: nothing to do: perhaps you need to specify some filenames or the --recursive option?

- Dave Dykstra