Unexplained error (code 255)

Alex Kelly KellyA at franklin.edu
Wed Dec 4 17:14:00 EST 2002

I have been using rsync 2.5.5 on Solaris 8 for quite a while w/ no
problems.  This week we upgraded our boxes to Solaris9 and we start
seeing (when -vvv is specified):
   recv_files finished
   wrote 16 bytes  read 335214 bytes  31926.67 bytes/sec
   total size is 107361593  speedup is 320.26
   rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(1001)
   _exit_cleanup(code=255, file=main.c, line=1001): about to call
exit(255)

So it appears to have copied all of the files, but then died
afterwards.  I have searched this list's archives and have found this
error pop up quite a few times but have never seen a solution for it.  I
have tried the CVS version (as of Dec-04-2002 @ 11:00EST) and am still
seeing the problem.

I am using the following:
Rsync->2.5.6cvs  protocol version 26
OS->Solaris9
SSH->Sun_SSH_1.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0

I am invoking it with: rsync -avz --progress -e ssh host:/path/to/file
.

I am sure that the problem is Sun's implementation of SSH on Solaris9.
Does anyone have a fix/workaround?

Thanks,
Alex