[patch] read-devices

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Aug 30 10:51:00 EST 2002

Oh, syncing from a pipe on one end to a file on the other end is a
different story.  That I can see a use for.  However, it's not really what
the rsync command is designed for; it's designed for handling lots of
files.  I would think a simple tool based on librsync would be better
suited.  If we did want rsync to support it, I wouldn't lump it with
reading of other device files.  A syntax of specifying "-" as the source
file would make some sense, but a whole lot of options (especially most of
the ones inferred by "-a") won't make any sense in that situation, and the
destination has to be a file and cannot be a directory.  I think it would
probably have too great of an impact on the rsync code to be worth
supporting.

Syncing an entire raw partition is not a good idea unless you plan to have
it unmounted during the entire operation, because otherwise you're likely
to get some corruption in the copy.

- Dave