selecting files from different subdirectories

Lorenzo Bettini bettini at dsi.unifi.it
Sat Aug 24 06:55:00 EST 2002

Hi

I would need to synschronize some Netscape stuff to a server ("roaming
profiles" are not included anymore in the recent versions of Netscape).
  In particular I'd like to synchronize bookmarks, address book and mail
filters.

So I need to synchronize ONLY the following three files (that are in the
mozilla directory work/mozilla) to the remote server (in the directory
save/mozilla/) :

/bookmarks.html
abook.mab
ImapMail/my.remote.server/rules.dat

The first attempt was to use the following command after cd to mozilla
directory (this is for committing changes to the server)

rsync -e ssh -azu --include "*/" --include-from include-files
--exclude="*" . foo at my.remote.server:save/mozilla/

where the contents of include-files is exactly the three lines above.

This works but the problem is that on the directory save/mozilla/ on the
server also the other directories (Cache, chrome, etc.) are created
(although they are empty).

After reading some past postings I tried with this solution

rsync -e ssh -avz --include-from=test_includes .
foo at my.remote.server:save/mozilla/

where test_includes is the following file

+ /bookmarks.html
+ /abook.mab
+ /ImapMail/my.remote.server/rules.dat
- /*

but now only the files bookmarks.html and abook.mab are copied.

I thought that complete paths can be specified, am I wrong?

Basically I'm wondering which is the right way to copy ONLY some files
possibly in some subdirectories.

many thanks in advance

cheers
	Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Tel +39 055 4796741, Fax +39 055 4796730           |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  E-Mail           : bettini at dsi.unifi.it            |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.lorenzobettini.it/purple    Cover Band  |