High CPU on multiple syncs on Win2K

bart.coninckx at watco.be bart.coninckx at watco.be
Fri Aug 23 09:30:59 EST 2002

Hi all,

Allow me to quickly sketch our backup situation: we have about 40 sites. On
each site there's a Rsync client on an NT machine (Cygwin). In the main
site we have a huge Win2K fileserver which acts as a Rsync server. I'm
doing tests now with syncing the volumes of several Netware servers on the
sites (to which the Rsync NT clients have a mapping) to the Win2K server.
Initially we wanted to put a Rsync server on each site, but for some
unknown reason the Rsync daemon does not want to use mappings to a Netware
volume in its modules.

Right now I'm doing about 10 syncs at the same time. What I'm seeing now,
is that for every Rsync session that's initiated towards the Rsync service
on the Win2K server, a seperate Rsync.exe is spawned. Each Rsync uses up to
20% CPU util. Obviously, the machine is constantly running at 100% CPU. Not
desireable, since I want to add yet another 30 sites!

Do you people think that if we would use a Linux server instead of a Win2K
server, the CPU would be less burdoned?

Thx already!

Bart Coninckx
Network Administrator
CNE, ASE
*************************************
Watco ICT Services
Lilsedijk 19
B-2340 Beerse

e-mail: bart.coninckx at watco.be
Tel: + 32 (0) 14 60 99 42
Fax: + 32 (0) 14 62 41 47
*************************************

The information in this email is confidential, and is intended solely for
the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this email
please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system;
you should not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone,
not even by forwarding it.
Due to the integrity risk of sending emails over the Internet,
Watco ICT will accept no liability for any comments and/or attachments
contained within this email.