rsync 2.5.5, HPUX, getting unexplained error at main.c(578)

Steve Bonds knnf6cy7w001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 21 15:38:01 EST 2002

I've seen this error on HP-UX systems as well.  I spent a couple hours picking through the source trying to track it down, but so far no luck.

What I have discovered:
  + It's still broken as of last night's CVS version
  + It only seems to happen when sending files from an HP-UX system (receiving files on HP-UX works OK)
  + The remote system can be either HP-UX or Linux (and probably others), which suggests that it's a sender-side issue
  + It only happens when using the "--owner" or "--group" options (both implied by "-a" or "--archive")
  + It does happen when using those options as a non-root user (when their action would normally be ignored).  It also happens when sending the files to root on the destination.
  + The return status of the wait_process() call appears to be normal (i.e. not obviously mangled), but is nonzero.  The actual value seems to be random.

I plan to look at this more, but hopefully this info might help someone else track down this elusive HP-UX problem.

  -- Steve Bonds