rsync stops files transfert unexpectedly

Herve Verjus herve.verjus at esia.univ-savoie.fr
Sun Aug 18 04:45:01 EST 2002

Hello,

i used rsync for some years ago...Well fine because i synchronize laptops
and servers or laptops and PCs using rsync AND between both unix/linux
machines and unix/linux filesystems. Ok.

Now, i have to synchronize files that are on unix/linux filestems AND on
win filesystems (NTFS and FAT)...I thought: "don't worry, mounting win
filsystems with samba and so on". Yes but...

For commodities reasons i also write scripts allowing me to backup files
from laptop (on windows) using rsync with cygwin.

So, the problem i have to deal with is "how can i synchronize a FAT
partition with another remote FAT partition ?".

In all cases i done (rsync with cygwin on the local and remote machine,
one on windows the other on linux mounting the FAT partition, both on
linux mounting the FAT partitions (*) the following problem appears:

That seems to work properly...But unexpectedly, during files transfert,
the rsync process stop !!!!????? I try to understand why...I read
documentation, man pages, etc. but the problem remains.

Typical example:

rsync 2.4.6 on a linux machine (called SUDONG)...The machine on wich the
rsync script will started.
The remote machine (called SAKRA) is another linux machine with a Samba
server. The SAKRA FAT partition is exported via samba.

The SUDONG machine has to mount the SAKRA FAT partition using smbmount.

I want to synchronze the local FAT partition (/mnt/win/...) with
the (remote) SAKRA FAT partition (/mnt/sakra/win/...) exported via samba.

The following script is supposed to do that.

#!/bin/sh

	smbmount //sakra/win /mnt/sakra/win/home/ -o username=verjus
	smbmount //sakra/projects /mnt/sakra/win/projects/ -o
username=verjus
	rsync -e ssh -rvtg --delete --progress --stats /mnt/sakra/win/home/hv/common/ /mnt/win/home/hv/common
	rsync -e ssh -rvtg --delete --progress --stats /mnt/sakra/win/home/hv/iup/ /mnt/win/home/hv/iup
	rsync -e ssh -rvtg --delete --progress --stats /mnt/sakra/win/home/hv/llp/ /mnt/win/home/hv/llp
	rsync -e ssh -rvtg --delete --progress --stats /mnt/sakra/win/home/hv/home/ /mnt/win/home/hv/home
	rsync -e ssh -rvtg --delete --progress --stats /mnt/sakra/win/home/hv/univ-savoie/ /mnt/win/home/hv/univ-savoie
#	rsync -e ssh -rvtg --delete --progress --stats /mnt/sakra/win/home/Profiles/ /mnt/win/home/Profiles
	rsync -e ssh -rvtg --delete --progress --stats /mnt/sakra/win/home/httpd/ /mnt/win/home/httpd
	rsync -e ssh -rvtg --delete --progress --stats /mnt/sakra/win/projects/ /mnt/win/projects

smbumount /mnt/sakra/win/home
smbumount /mnt/sakra/win/projects

# End of the file

For each rsync command line, the files transfert stops. I have to press
CTR+C to cancel the current synchronization (that starts the following
rsync command line).

(*) The remote partition is mounted localy (i.e. on the machine on wich
the rsync process is started) with samba or "net use" windows shell
command.

Then, the question is...What is the problem ? Is the FAT partition the
problem (rsync is not well adapted for this case (?) Or ????).

Another point: all things are ok if i synchronize the SAKRA machine with a
Solaris server (in this case, the local FAT partition is synchronized with
a unix partition mouted via NFS)

Thank's for your answer...

HVE

PS: as you see, there are several rsync command lines because the amount
of files is about 10,000 and as the problem appeared, i decomposed one
rsync command in several (but without positive effect on the problem)

-- Herve VERJUS -------ooOoo------- herve.verjus at esia.univ-savoie.fr --
-- ESIA - LLP Lab.                  Universite de Savoie
-- B.P. 806                         Tel : +33 (0)4 50 09 65 94
-- F - 74016 ANNECY Cedex           Fax : +33 (0)4 50 09 65 90