Selective sync

Ivan Kovalev ivan at wssource.com
Wed Aug 14 09:00:01 EST 2002

I have a strange problem, apparently contradicting man pages and recent
postings on --include / --exclude options.

On the server host I have directories to replicate only if they match a
specific pattern ( date in different formats), they might be located 1
or 2 levels down from root directory and these parent directories (but
not files) have to be replicated too.

I understand, that given :
rootdir/*/2002-08-01
rootdir/*/*/1-Aug-02
rootdir/*/2002-08/01
on the server, I should pick these up from the client using include
file:
2002-08-01/
2002-08-01/*
1-Aug-02/
1-Aug-02/*
2002-08/01/
2002-08/01/*

in conjunction with --exclude=* on command line after include file is
mentioned. This does not work.

To simplify, I have few test directories on the server with couple of
files there:
root_dir/z/z1/z2/zn
Include file:
z/
z/t[0-9]
that works fine for t1 file in it, but I could not get to t4 file in zn
subdir:
z/z1/z2/zn/
z/z1/z2/zn/t[0-9]
z/z1/z2/zn/t4
t4
zn/
zn/t4
**/zn/
**/zn/t[0-9]

Command line:
rsync --password-file=_pass --include-from=inc  --exclude=* -rvvn
--archive --sparse --delete  user at server::root_dir/  /tmp/t

Please help.

Thank you.
--
Ivan Kovalev