Mirroring 2 IDE Drive Linux

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Tue Aug 6 15:58:01 EST 2002

I gave sample code in an earlier reply, but forgot to mention the obvious.
 At least the destination disk doesn't have any rw mounted partitions,
does it?
That'll crash you.  Having the source disk containing rw mounted
filesystems will just give you invalid data on the destination.
To do the copy
init s
kill anything that's holding non / mounts
mount -o ro -o remount /
that should switch you back to only root mounted, readonly.
If dd is on another partition (some make /usr seperate, and some have dd
there, instead of /bin), you'll have to copy it to / before unmounting
that partition.
mount
If any hdaanything is there besides /, or / is not readonly, look again
for processes holding mounts.
now, try your dd.
If you can't get it down to this state, download one of the single-floppy
rescue-type distributions, boot to that, and do the dd.

I don't have a usenet feed handy, so I can't tell you what the appropriate
newsgroup would be for this question.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917 office, 303.921.0301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, caesupport2 on AIM
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"Danny" <danny at ocsonline.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
08/06/2002 04:02 PM