superlifter design notes and a new proposal

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Mon Aug 5 15:31:02 EST 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:01:22PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Martin Pool wrote:
> >  - Using lzo or gzip will squish them to a similar size, so
> >    micro-optimization is not necessary.
>
> I'm somewhat cautious about adding a compression layer over the top of
> the message headers.  It should be doable, but it will make things a
> bit more complex.  For instance, my current code reads one message at a
> time because it understands the header format and knows how long the
> data will be from that understanding.  A zlib deflate/inflate that
> included the message headers themselves will mean that we need to slurp
> as much data as is available on the socket, decompress as much of that
> as possible (which might not be all the currently-read data), and then
> operate on as many messages as we find in the decompressed data.  We
> also have to be sure that we flush the data on the compression side
> often enough that we avoid deadlocking waiting for new message headers
> that aren't coming (i.e. zlib adds a buffering layer of its own).  If
> we make it flush once per message, that would probably be very byte-
> inefficient for smaller messages.  If we instead only force a flush
> when a pause in the action occurs, that would probably be optimal, but
> might add delays to the transfer and would add overall complexity.

Perhaps a flush at each chdir?

For compresed data I would want at least some header
uncompressed.  At a minimum:
	u16 data_len;	/* uncompressed length */
	u16 xmit_len;	/* compressed length */
so you could manage memory and read() operations.

This could be all hidden behind (get|send)_msg() so the
callers aren't affected.  If so the small message
ineficiencies might be mitigated by clumping them together.
This would have to be subject to flushing and getting
rid of the latency dependent deadlocks.