Cannot authenticate usin ssh

Chris Mason masonc at masonc.com
Fri Aug 2 10:48:02 EST 2002

I have a backup script that copies the contents of a backup directory to
my local server at night.
The command is run from a script: /etc/cron.daily/backup

/usr/bin/rsync -arvz -e ssh user at servername.com:/home/backups/*
backup_disk/servername/

The output from the cron job is:
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far) rsync error:
error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)

I don't know what to do now.

When I run the script from the command line as root it works. From cron
it doesn't. The ssh keys are exchanged and no passphrase is required.

Chris Mason
masonc at masonc.com
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
Talk to me in real time:
Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759