AIX issue using chroot

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Apr 26 14:44:02 EST 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 01:46:44AM -0400, Corey Stup wrote:
> Took a while to figure this one out:
>
> Since "use chroot" defaults to true, I was having issues of UID/GID's
> not mapping between servers.   On AIX, if chroot() is called, the
> getpwuid() calls fail, no longer being able to find /etc/passwd.
> Since the that call doesn't differentiate between a 'failure' and a
> 'unable to map uid', rsync assumes it can't map the UID and the server
> side doesn't send the maps.
>
> Setting "use chroot" to false is a workaround.   Not sure if there is an
> easy way to fix this, or its just a caveat that might want to be stated
> in the documentation.

That is the way it behaves on all operating systems.  It is mentioned in
the documentation, but not in a very easy to find place: under the
--numeric-ids option.  If you suggest a wording for a place in the man
pages that would be easy to find, we could put it in.

> Also, I would be happy to provide builds of rsync for AIX4.1.5 and
> 4.3.3.

Martin, you could probably easily give volunteers write access to selected
binaries directories by making a password-protected module in
/etc/rsyncd.conf for them.  I don't see any in there now though so it would
be a new precedent.

- Dave Dykstra