"error in rsync protocol data stream"

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Apr 26 10:29:01 EST 2002

I know this is late but nobody else appears to have responded.

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:43:48PM -0500, Scott Lipcon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem doing a remote rsync over ssh -  i'm using a script that
> has worked for quite a while, using rsync 2.4.6 on both ends.  I upgraded the
> "client" to 2.5.5, and began seeing this error:
>
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (158246 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)

This message occurs any time the remote end disappears early.

> At which time there is a large core file generated on the remote side
> (unfortuantely, the debugger on the remote side isn't giving me anything
> useful)
>
> I assumed that it was a bad interaction between the local 2.5.5 and the remote
> 2.4.6, so I upgraded the remote machine to 2.5.5 as well, and the problem
> remains.  My local machine is an athlon running FreeBSD 4.5, and the remote
> side is a Sparc 5 running OpenBSD 2.8.  The command line I'm using is:
>
> rsync -avz -P --delete --include-from=/u0/includes --partial remote:/ .
>
> I'd appreciate any ideas... please cc replies to me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

A crashing problem on FreeBSD has been found where the rsync zlib library
crashes unless it is compiled with gcc -O2.  It sounds like it's your
Sparc OpenBSD side that's crashing though so I wouldn't think it would
be the same problem.  At least try it without -z.

- Dave Dykstra