4.4BSD chflags support for rsync

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Apr 26 06:30:02 EST 2002

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 03:11:59AM +0200, Rolf Grossmann wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:52:56 -0500 Dave Dykstra wrote
> concerning "Re: 4.4BSD chflags support for rsync" something like this:
>
> > I think the --flags patch is probably fine, except that that the short
> > description should at least say "preserve file flags" instead of just
> > "preserve flags" since most people wouldn't know what "flags" means.
>
> Sure, changed that (found 3 occurrences).
>
> However, I just recently found that I missed a case where I need to clear
> change flags: when (hard)linking to a file, that file may not have flags
> that prevent modification. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to look into
> that issue, yet.
>
> I also noticed, that you've been changing quite a few bits lately. E.g.
> there are rules to build texinfo documentation in the Makefile (but no
> texinfo files) and there is SGML documentation, but no rules for
> formatting. So I decided to wait some more before updating the patch
> to the current release (probably updating the new documentation then).
> So if you'd rather wait for me to update the patch (which is against 2.5.2),
> I'll probably get back to you either after the next release or in a
> week or two. Of course I'll be happy if you'll add the patch anyway ;)

Actually it will be up to the primary maintainer Martin Pool who has been
making those changes and it will be up to him to make the final decision on
if/when to put your patch in; I've just given my opinion as a former
primary maintainer.  Martin, what do you think?

> > I don't like --ignore-existing, though.  What's the point of using rsync
> > if you're not updating existing files?
>
> It's not my work. I was only saying that by building the manpage,
> the documentation for --ignore-existing also showed up. So unless it
> was explicitly removed for the release, it was simply forgotten to
> rebuild the manpage after the change.

Oops, sorry I didn't catch that.

- Dave Dykstra