Rsync ownership/group/permission on Windows and Linux question

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Apr 25 14:04:01 EST 2002

I'm cleaning out my rsync mailbox and it looks like nobody responded
to your questions.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 02:56:18AM -0600, Poe Chen wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I'd like to know if there is a way to set the ownership/group/permission
> when you are transfering files from a Windows clients to a Linux rsync
> server.
>
> I've tried following configurations, and none of them work.
>
> rsync -av --owner=test -g MyFolder 192.168.100.1::backup/test
>
> rsync -av --owner=500 -g MyFolder --numeric-ids 192.168.100.1::backup/test
>
> (500 is numeric id for user "test)

The --owner option does not take a paramter.  It just means to
preserve the original owner when possible.

> Is it possible that you can setup a rsync server that will preserve the
> ownership/group from a Windows clients?

I don't know much about Windows clients but I don't see why it wouldn't
as long as the writer is running as root (or whatever the privileged user
is on Windows NT/2000).

> Or, is it possible to run rsync
> client so that when the server stores the files, it sets to the user/group
> specified at client's rsync option?

Not on the command line, but if the receiver is runing as a nonprivileged
user id then all the files will be owned by that user id.

> So far, Linux to Linux rsync has no problem at all.  The Windows clients
> (NT and Win2000) are using cygwin1.dll v1.3.10 and rsync 1.5.4.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

- Dave Dykstra