Rsync server on w2k with ssh

Joseph Annino jannino at jannino.com
Thu Apr 25 09:50:02 EST 2002

I use rsync with ssh on windows a lot.  I don't use the rsync server.
Instead I installed cygwin which can setup sshd as a service.  You use the
--rsh option with rsync to get it to tunnel over ssh.  It works very
reliably.

I do have to say though windows is a little slower at this piping than other
platforms.  Using a traffic analysis tool I noticed that the pipe is done by
having ssh connect to the rsync process it spans via a local TCP connection.
I can get speeds of up to about 600k/sec across a 100mb switch between two
windows machines.

--
Joseph Annino Consulting - Perl, PHP, MySQL, Oracle, etc.
jannino at jannino.com - http://www.jannino.com