How rsync can work only with rsh/ssh

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Apr 24 07:30:01 EST 2002

You've neither read the documentation, nor actually tried rsync, have you?

scp is an add-on to ssh to do rcp-like work over ssh.
rsync does the same function and a lot more, and doesn't care what the
transport it uses, whether shared memory, in the case of purely local
transfers, or an external transport (rsh, remsh, ssh, a pipe written in
perl, whatever), or it's own tcp transport, used to communicate with a
rsync daemon.

"Why rsync need a shell? For login?"  No, for a transport, and then, only if you chose to use an external
transport, and then, only if you do a non-local transfer.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"Davide Montesin" <mail at davideonline.it>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org