rsync hanging (Sun -> AIX)

neil.pawson at ps.ge.com neil.pawson at ps.ge.com
Tue Apr 23 21:55:02 EST 2002

I'm trying to rync working between the UK (Sun box) and India (AIX box) and
am having a real problems getting it up and running because every time I do
a full transfer it hangs.  The Sun box is the one holding the canonical
source which we want to mirror.

I've been shipped to the India office to get this working and have tried
hundreds of things over the last week, I've also scoured the web looking for
solutions (which is how I found this mailing list)!

I put a load of tracing into the rsync  code and discovered that it was
waiting on the child to die.  A bit more  tracking down showed that the
child process was the remsh to the AIX box.  This is what is hanging.

The interesting bit is that the remsh closes down at the AIX end without
problem but doesn't seem to be telling the other end that it has finished so
you end up with a one ended hanging remsh and rsync waiting for it to die...

I'm tried it from both a Linux box and a Sun box at the UK end so it's
probably this end that's causing the trouble.  I'm trying to get access to a
Sun box here.  The local UNIX guru thinks there is a problem with the TCP/IP
socket shutdown on AIX, does that ring any bells with anyone?

I've *got* to get this working and am getting a little desperate...  Any
help is *much* appreciated.

Cheers,
Neil