Future RSYNC enhancement/improvement suggestions

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Apr 22 17:09:01 EST 2002

On 22 Apr 2002, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:

> I don't suppose anyone knows any legacy reason why all the checksums
> are computed and stored in memory before transmission do they?  I
> don't think at the time I could find any real requirement in the code
> that it be done that way - the sequence was pretty much
> generate/send/free.

No, I think you could avoid it, and also avoid the up-front traversal
of the tree, and possibly even do this while retaining some degree of
wire compatibility.  It will be a fair bit of work.

I think the first job is to straighten up the interface to the flist,
which might reduce memory usage in the short term and will also give
us cleaner code to work with later.

--
Martin