Future RSYNC enhancement/improvement suggestions

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Apr 22 16:03:02 EST 2002

On 23 Apr 2002, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 01:01:13PM -0400, David Bolen wrote:
> > Unless you have quite large files, in which case there can be a
> > lengthy period (particularly if the file is being accessed across a
> > local network) while checksums are computed where there is no traffic
> > at all.  For a while (when we had slow drives and a 10BaseT network)
> > we could take 20-30 minutes for checksum computation on a 500-600MB
> > database file with 4K blocks.  And our long distance dialup call was
> > completely idle during that period.

I guess alternatively you could set the rsync timeout high, the
line-drop timeout low, and make it dial on demand.  That would let the
line drop when rsync was really thinking hard, and it would come back
up as necessary.  Losing the ppp channel does not by itself interrupt
any tcp sessions running across it, provided that you can recover the
same ip address next time you connect.

--
Martin