rsync breaks on FreeBSD without -O2?(fwd from grog@FreeBSD.org) PR 36998

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Sat Apr 20 20:26:01 EST 2002

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 07:37:12PM -0700, Martin Pool wrote:
> Apparently rsync breaks on FreeBSD if you turn off -O2 (which is the
> default.)  The breakage is apparently inside zlib.
>
> You'd have to think it was a compiler bug, but perhaps not.
>
> I haven't tried to reproduce it yet.

Here's some mail from freebsd-cvs-all
(<20020420171059.A593 at xor.obsecurity.org>). Bruce Evans submitted this
workaround which has been incorporated into the FreeBSD tree. I think we
should do the same. I can do the honors :-)

Jos

<quote>
On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 04:01:29PM -0700, Jos Backus wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 01:22:16PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 01:19:47PM -0700, Anders Nordby wrote:
> > > anders      2002/04/20 13:19:47 PDT
> > >
> > >   Modified files:
> > >     net/rsync            Makefile
> > >   Log:
> > >   Make port set -O2 in CFLAGS. Necessary for -z (compress) option to work
> > >   properly.
> >
> > Err, this sounds like the fault of the broken zlib code we had in the
> > source tree, which was already fixed.
>
> rsync uses it's own slightly incompatible version of zlib. If you can point me
> to a fix I can discuss the fix with the rsync folks and commit it.
>
> (If you don't hear from me it's because XO cut my DSL line - I'm in the
> process of switching providers.)

Here's the fix from bde which I applied to the libz in the tree:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libz/infcodes.c.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.4

Kris
</quote>

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA