out of memory in build_hash_table

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Apr 19 20:15:02 EST 2002

Eric Echter [eric.echter at mchsi.com] writes:

> I also checked the /etc/security/limits.conf file and everything in
> the file is commented out.  Are there default limits if there are no
> actual settings in this file that may be causing problems?  Your
> assumption about the memory limit on processes sounds correct, but I
> can't find any reasoning for this from the system settings.  Thanks
> a bunch for the response.

I'm not that familiar with Linux defaults, but your ulimit -a should
reflect what the process actually has and it certainly looks good.
That assumes that you are running rsync on the server under root
(either via the rsh/ssh path, or as a daemon).  If you're running it
as some other user, you should ensure you check the ulimit -a under
a process running as that user.  Perhaps /etc/profile makes adjustments?

If not, you might watch virtual memory stats while running the failing
operation (e.g., have a window using vmstat or top running on the server
when you try the copy) to see if there's anything amiss looking at the
overall server level - or if perhaps rsync is somehow burning up much
more memory than we're estimating.

Beyond that though, I suppose perhaps a linux-oriented group would offer
further suggestions, under the assumption that something must be leading
to the malloc() failing.

-- David