out of memory in build_hash_table

Eric Echter eric.echter at mchsi.com
Fri Apr 19 14:17:02 EST 2002

I recently installed rsync 2.5.5 on both my rsync server and client being
used.  I installed the latest version because I was having problems with
rsync stalling with version 2.4.6 (I read that 2.5.5 was supposed to clear
this up or at least give more appropriate errors).  I am still having
problems with rsync stalling even after upgrading to 2.5.5.  It only stalls
in the "/home" tree and there are approximately 385,000 (38.5 MB of memory
give or take if the 100 bytes/file still pertains) files in that tree.  It
doesn't always stall on the same file, but that probably doesn't really
matter since this seems like it may be a kernel problem or some other system
specific problem.  I am curious as to whether or not anyone has seen this
problem or knows of a fix for it or if it's something I'm doing wrong.  I
would be grateful for any information.  I'm receiving a couple of error
messages (both refer to the same problem as far as I know):

ERROR: out of memory in build_hash_table
rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at util.c(232)

The following are the commands being used from a bash script (not the whole
script of course):

rsync -zaHlv --progress -e /usr/bin/ssh --exclude log --exclude exim /var/*
Server_IP:/home/host/var 2>>$error_log
rsync -zaHlv --progress -e /usr/bin/ssh /etc/* Server_IP:/home/host/etc
2>>$error_log
rsync -zaHlv --progress -e /usr/bin/ssh /usr/local/apache/conf/*
Server_IP:/home/host/usr/local/apache/conf 2>>$error_log
rsync -zaHlv --progress -e /usr/bin/ssh --exclude backup --exclude
backups --exclude usr /home/* Server_IP:/home/host/home

The following is some information about the machines:

server running rsync --daemon:
Linux RH: Kernel 2.4.9-31
512 MB RAM
rsync 2.5.5
OpenSSH_3.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0

rsync client
Linux RH: 2.4.9-31enterprise
2 GB RAM
rsync 2.5.5
OpenSSH_3.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0

Thank you for any help and I would be happy to include any further
information if needed.