mixed case file systems.

Peter Tattam peter at jazz-1.trumpet.com.au
Thu Apr 18 19:23:04 EST 2002

I am having trouble with rsync when I am trying to synchronize a Windows NT
volume mounted with smb_fs (FreeBSD) and a unix volume which is also exported
with Samba.

There are instances where the DOS short name on the NT volume ends up as upper
case and then doesn't match filenames which are used in the unix volumes which
have been exported by Samba.  I don't know if this is a Samba problem or an
rsync problem.  The end result is that after using rsync in both directions for
a while, I end up with both a lower case and and upper or mixed case version of
the same file within the synced directories on the unix volumes because there
is no short name alias checking. I think the source of the problem is that the
NT file system migrates names between upper and lower case depending on whether
a DOS program or a win32 program has created the file.  I use both types of
tools in my work which is probably the explanation for the problems.

I believe a suitable workaround would be to ignore case for file names when the
rsync process is undertaken.  Is this facility available or planned in the near
future?

I can send directory listings to demonstrate the problem if necessary.

Regards

Peter

Peter R. Tattam                            peter at trumpet.com
Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd
Hobart, Australia,  Ph. +61-3-6245-0220,  Fax +61-3-62450210