determinism

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Thu Apr 18 06:32:05 EST 2002

Oh.  Now i feel like an *enlightened* idiot.  I 've always thought of a
checksum, crc, or whatever as giving 1/2^^length certainty, and I have a
sense that that knowing the file length adds another amount of certainty,
though I can't quantify that.  I just know that if the size doesn't match,
the checksum doesn't matter.

I'd never considered the implications of the presumption that the file is
the same file hit by random mutations.  The math just blew a circuit
breaker in my brain.  I've got to go get a beer to reset it.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org