Initial debug of client - Need command line help

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Apr 16 20:11:02 EST 2002

tim.conway at philips.com wrote:
> Experts, feel free to jump on me for being wrong, but the forking, as i
> understand it, is integral to the way rsync currently does its work, and i
> don't think you can realy debug it in the classical sense.  Anybody found
> a way around this one?

A multi-process debugger can handle forked processes, but it can be tricky.

The big problem with the one that I have is that I do not know how to
switch the focus from one process to another while the session the
debugger is focused on is running (not at a break point).

I have temporarily put a special debugger break point in the source
after the child process is started.  If I did not do that, I could loose
control of the parent process.

It is easy to lose control of a multi-process debugging session.

I am guessing that the initial fork() of RSH is to allow the user to
initiate an rsync client session to run in the background with out tying
up the main shell session.

I am just starting to learn the logic flow and command line arguments
for rsync.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only