Update: WARNING: --rsh or -e option ignored when connecting to rsyncdaemon]

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Tue Apr 16 07:14:06 EST 2002

the --pasword-file= option is only for passing a password to a rsync
server, as you have set up with the rsync --daemon process.  Your
rsyncd.conf file is fine, too.  The problem is that you aren't calling
your rsync daemon from your commandline.  You are trying to connect via
rsync to host as axlink and start a 'rsync --sender' process, to transfer
data within the ssh process.

"rsync -auve ssh -z --port=22
--password-file=/export/home/tester01/rsync.pwd
/export/home/tester01/. axlink at host:/home/axlink/rs"
should be
"rsync -auvz --password-file=/export/home/tester01/rsync.pwd
/export/home/tester01/. axlink at host::/home/axlink/rs"
You don't use an external transport (-e ssh) to go to a rsync daemon.
--port=22 implies that you don't have ssh, but rather rsyncd on port 22.
rsyncd ordinarily listens on port 873, or at least you have inetd
listening there and spawning off rsyncds as needed(my preferred method).
You don't specify an alternate port to rsync --daemon, so i assume it's
still on the default.  Also, since you use a single colon in "axlink at host:/home/axlink/rs", along with "-e ssh", it's certain that you successfully connected to
ssh (which coincidentally connected to port 22... in your invocation,
--port= was ignored).  I'll bet you can't ssh into host as axlink, at
least, not without a password.  Try my revised commandline.

I'm ccing the list to keep people up on your resolution (they really do
care).

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Jack Khoo <jackkhoo at xybase.com>
04/16/2002 04:42 AM