Initial debug of client - Need command line help

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Apr 15 19:33:02 EST 2002

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2002, "John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw at qsl.net> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to debug the RSYNC client and server by single stepping
>>through them.
>>
>>The server seems to ok up to the point where it is waiting for the
>>client connection.
>
> And then what?

I go to start up the client from a second shell session.

>>On the client side, I am having trouble finding the right options so
>>that it will connect up to the local server with out fork() a copy of
>>itself or trying to exec the rsh command.

> It should more or less create a copy with the same options, except
> that --server will always be set, and --sender will be inverted.  See
> server_options()

It would be much better debugging if I could avoid the fork() attempt to
exec the RSH shell for the local connection.

The other complication is that on OpenVMS, RSH is a registered program
to the shell.  An system("RSH") will succeed, an exec("RSH") will fail.
  I can work around that, but it seems like having it in there for
debugging needlessly complicates things.

OpenVMS does not have a fork() function.  It can create a child process,
but all the I/O and memory must be set up from scratch.  Passing I/O
from an RSH subprocess through an extra debugger session can be a bit
hassle.

I would rather concentrate on making sure that the receiver child
process is initialized properly.

So are you saying for the client I should try:

rsync --server --sender --port=9000 localhost:ftp

where ftp is the entry in the servers rsyncd.conf file?

The server process is running on --port=9000 for the purposes of testing.

Does this mean that the client needs an rsyncd.conf file also?

Sorry if I am a little dense on this.

I looked at trying to convert the receiver process to an AST, but that
requires that none of the inner level subroutines ever wait for an I/O
to complete.  I would have to do a complete rewrite based on the
protocol that is going over the wire.  And I do not see a description of
that protocol in the distribution.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only