possibly new rsync trick: rotating snapshots

Mike Rubel mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 15 11:34:01 EST 2002

mr> Quite right--I didn't mean to imply that NFS to a remote location (or
mr> even across a firewall from a DMZ) is a good idea; I would use rsync
mr> over ssh for that, or rsyncd as you suggest.  The NFS idea was more
mr> for a dedicated "snapshot server", where the main file server would be
mr> mirrored directly across a dedicated subnet.

mp> Even for a local network, you will probably find rsyncd substantially
mp> faster than NFS.  (rsync can more intelligently pipeline and overlap
mp> operations on its own socket than the OS can for NFS.)  Certainly it's
mp> nice to also support NFS for direct access though.

Martin,

Thanks for pointing this out to me--I've added a note on the web page near
the NFS discussion.  My machines are so slow that the network isn't a
bottleneck anyway, but this should be relavent to others, especially where
users don't need the transparency of a mounted system directory.

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots.html

Best regards,
Mike