Exclude & --delete not working?

Sentalize sentalize at yahoo.de
Sun Apr 14 06:10:02 EST 2002

Hi there,

we have an odd problem, which maybe how rsync is
intended to work, but I think not: On server side, we
run rsync in daemon mode with a share [foo] that has a
serverside path of /foo. On client side, we invoke
rsync -zavuSH --delete server::foo/ /foo. The rsync
daemon uses an exclusion list.

The problem is, the client rsync deletes clientside
whatever is in the exclusionlist. If I read the rsync
manual page, I was under the assumption, that --delete
would continue to work on everything, that is not
being excluded int he exclusionlist on the server.
However, it seems to treat excluded direcotires as if
not existing on the server and they all get deleted on
the clientside instead of being ignored, i.e. act, as
if we used --delete-excluded and not just --delete. Or
does rsync treat directories/files, that are being
excluded serverside as if they would not exist, thus
deleting them ont he client? Should not act that way,
I think. We can not just give up --delete, as we still
want 1:1 compies for everything, that is not being
excluded. The version in use is 2.3.2-Dykstra_patch1,
protocol verison 21 on both sides. I'll try compile
something new now to see wheater that's the problem. I
hope this is enough information for you. I could nto
solve it by reading manpages and docs online, as they
all only explain the options, but not this case we
have.

Greetings!

    Philippe Steindl

PS: I am not part of the mailing list, I hope I can
still get an answer :)