rsync and debian -- summary of issues

Brian May bam at debian.org
Fri Apr 12 16:53:01 EST 2002

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 01:28:01PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> Why did you think that?
>
> rproxy addresses a rather different problem to rsync: for example, it
> transfers only one file at a time, not whole directories.  No, rproxy
> does not have a magic way to do the delta computation in zero time.
> Compared to rsync, rproxy has the advantage of cleaner code (imho),
> but the disadvantage that no optimization work has been done.

However, that is exactly what applications like apt-get require:
transfer of one file at a time... And consider the benifits, if it only
did this on Packages and Sources, but nothing else... If implemented in
squid, then the results could be cached at intermediate squid caches,
too. Something that is impossible with rsync.

I always thought though that rproxy, considering it was aimed at being
included in public web servers, would minimize the load on the server.
Perhaps I am mistaken?
--
Brian May <bam at debian.org>