Connection Reset by peer

David BORDAS bordas at jeuxvideo.com
Wed Apr 10 00:10:04 EST 2002

Hi all,

all night i'm backuping around 15 Go from some of our serveurs connected to
internet.
My backup server and all web servers aren't on the same town and all are
connected to internet so i use rsync for backuping.

I also use rsync for replication between all web servers without any
problem.

During this backup (all night ) i've can see "rsync: read error: Connection
reset by peer" in client's error logs.

All server are running rsync 4.6.xx installed from a red-hat rpm.
All OS are Linux red hat on intel platform.

On client i tried the same rpm, or several tar.gz version from 4.6.2 to
4.5.5.

I've also tried the "Patch to avoid 'Connection reset by peer' error for
rsync on cygwin" found in the list.
I know that i'm not using cygwin but i won't to give it a try withou any
luck ...

Client is like this : intel celeron 600 + 256 Mo of SDRAM and 2 * 30 Go
7200tr UDMA drives.
All drive have at least 15 Go free space.
Internet connection : 1.2Mb ADSL permanent.

The most common "Connection reset by peer" appear when backuping big text
files like SQL dump.
Each dump is around 600MB.

All server are running rsync as a daemon and client is connecting to rsync
like this :
/usr/local/bin/rsync -avrpogtzH --timeout=3600 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX::backup
/unit2/backup/

I also have a look to rsync daemon error log on server and i can see
something like this :
<< 2002/04/10 04:50:47 [28350] transfer interrupted (code 11) at main.c(295)