problem with -u option

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Apr 9 06:28:06 EST 2002

On  9 Apr 2002, Robert Silge <rsilge at mac.com> wrote:
> Tue Apr  9 07:18:37 UTC 2002 -local
> Tue Apr  9 06:21:58 UTC 2002 -distant
>
> well, that would explain it. It's the CST vs. CDT thing. The local comp is
> always an hour ahead. Now how do I change that? I can never remember what's
> standard and what's daylight. And besides, I don't have root access on the
> distant machine, so I couldn't change it there anyway. So I guess I need to
> figure out how to make my machine CDT?

rsync, like most unix programs, works exclusively in universal time,
except that times are displayed to humans in their chosen timezone.
So the point is not to change the timezone of either machine, but to
preferably make them both synchronized with UT.  A good way to do this
is with an NTP client.

rsync doesn't really care if the time is correct, but if the machines
are inconsistent then of course it won't be able to tell whether a
file is really newer or not.

--
Martin