possibly new rsync trick: rotating snapshots

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Apr 8 23:00:02 EST 2002

On  8 Apr 2002, Mike Rubel <mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've found a simple, rsync-based trick to emulate the "rotating snapshots"
> feature found on some file servers, and hope that members of this group
> will find it useful and/or interesting:
>
> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

That looks good, particularly the description of `cp -al'.  I'll add a
link.

I would use rsync's daemon mode, rather than NFS, to do backups to a
remote server.  It's equally secure and much more efficient.

Similarly, if my user base was sufficiently technical to use rsync to
retrieve files, then I'd just export the backups that way.  I guess
this is only useful in a situation where you trust the users not to
read each other's files.

--
Martin