is it a bug or a feature? re:time zone differences, laptops, and suggestion for a new option

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Apr 4 23:45:17 EST 2002

On  5 Apr 2002, Robert Scholten <r.scholten at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> >Dear Tim, Martin,
>
> Thanks for helping with this.  I tried setting TZ=UTC at both ends, and
> discovered that for some reason the files had a 1-hour timestamp
> difference.  Not sure how that happened,

Melbourne just went off daylight savings.  I reckon there's a
connection there.  :-)

Microsoft like storing the local time in the hardware clock, which is
not the smartest design in the world.  They have to kludge it when the
timezone's offset changes; this is particularly problematic on
laptops, and also if you dual-boot the machine either between unix and
xp, or different M$ installations.

> BTW, I have recently found another problem with using rsync on
> Windows/cygwin platforms.  I had an exclude/include file list in dos
> format (cr/lf pairs instead of newlines).  Oh boy did that create
> some fun.  include/exclude rules are funny enough without the weird
> behaviour of matching added CR's.  In my rsync scripts I now run
> dos2ux on these lists before executing rsync.

A patch to fix that will go into 2.6.

--
Martin