is it a bug or a feature? re:time zone differences, laptops, and suggestion for a new option

Robert Scholten r.scholten at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Apr 4 21:14:53 EST 2002

>Hi,

I am using rsync to back up some files from a WinXP laptop to a Linux
server.  The two machines are in different time zones (8 hour
separation).  It seems that rsync wants to do a full checksum on every file
because it thinks their time stamps are different.

Example:
         GMT is 9am, Local time (Netherlands) 10am, remote time (Australia) 8pm

In this case, the file was created and copied to both machines with the
same timestamp (e.g. 8pm) when both machines were in the same timezone
(Australia).  Then I changed countries with my laptop, and ran
rsync.  After rsync, the remote (Linux) file has a new timestamp which 8
hours earlier (e.g. 10am).

I guess that in some sense, rsync "thinks" they were created at different
universal times, and after rsyncing, they are matched to the same UTC.

This is OK after I have done it once, but would it be possible to tell
rsync that if the timestamp difference is the same as the current time
difference, it should ignore?  Or just change the timestamp rather than
doing a full checksum?  I could write a script to run on the Linux box, to
change the timestamps by the 8-hour time diff, and revert when I return to
Australia, but surely this happens regularly to other people with laptops?

Or am I totally confused?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob.