uncusccesful in excluding directories

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Sep 25 01:20:32 EST 2001

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 12:06:03PM +0200, Ruud H. Koning wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to upload a website from my home computer to my isp. However, one subdir of the local website should not be uploaded. I tried this using
>
> rsync --verbose --progress --stats --compres --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh
> --exclude="/home/ruud/public_html/rhkoning.com/internet-sites/"
> /home/ruud/public_html/rhkoning.com/ user at xs4all.nl:WWW
>
> However, according to the output, the directory
> /home/ruud/public_html/rhkoning.com/ is skipped and nothing happens.
> What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Ruud

The paths that the exclude algorithm sees are relative to the source
directory.  Thus --exclude="internet-sites" is what you want, or if you use
--exclude="/internet-sites" it will only exclude at the top level (in case
the same filename exists somewhere else down below some other directory).

- Dave Dykstra