rsync transfers of data from Windows to Unix

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Sep 14 23:17:34 EST 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 06:55:13PM -0500, Phil Howard wrote:
> Are there any clients and/or servers for Windows (clients only
> for Win98/ME) which can use the rsync protocol, or especially
> rsync over SSL (e.g. like stunnel, not ssh), which would allow
> setting up some well controlled and secure bulk file exchanging
> between Windows an Unix?  SMB is not going to be an option and
> a VPN may not be an option, either (there are technical reasons
> for that but they are outside the scope of an rsync discussion).
> FTP is already used in one of the cases I'm exploring and it is
> problematic, and I would prefer to go with the rsync logic to
> transfer the data since it is more of a syncronization kind of
> thing anyway.

There's no implementation of SSL & the rsync protocol together.  I've never
used stunnel, but from its description it sounds like you could run rsync
over it.  Is that an option?  Otherwise, possibly you could use ssh; I know
the client side runs on Windows98, although I think the ssh daemon requires
NT/2000.

If anybody has used rsync over stunnel on any operating system, please
speak up.

- Dave Dykstra