File merging

Andy Goth unununium at openverse.org
Fri Sep 14 13:28:02 EST 2001

On Thursday, September 13, 2001 10:28, you wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Andy Goth wrote:
> > Can rsync be made to merge files?  For instance, could I synchronize
> > mboxes between multiple computers, even though they're all changing?
>
> Not if they are changing simultaneously.  You can't do that at all,
> without a distributed filesystem with locking.

I'll avoid simultaneous changes, then, by remembering (or automating) updates
before switching computers.  I could probably do this pretty easily as some
sort of an eth0-up script.

> On the other hand, if only one system changes at a time rsync works fine.

Okay, then, can rsync identify the newer version and copy it to the other
system?
--
Andy Goth  |  unununium at openverse.org  |  http://null.cc.uic.edu/~andy/