unexpected EOF in read_timeout

Michelle Brownsworth mdb at primelogic.com
Fri Sep 7 06:29:59 EST 2001

Perhaps someone can shed some light on the problem I'm having using
rsync 2.4.6.  I'm getting the following error:

receiving file list ... done
htdocs/acescounseling/logs/
htdocs/adihome/logs/
.
.
htdocs/coupons/logs/error_log
htdocs/court/logs/combined_log
htdocs/cowgirl/logs/combined_log
htdocs/cowgirl/logs/error_log
htdocs/cowgirl/logs/ssl_log
Connection to nova closed by remote host.
unexpected EOF in read_timeout

The rsync commands I'm using in a script are listed below.  The first
four complete with no errors; it's the last one (htdocs, which
contains the Apache virtual directories) that errors out.  (With over
300 virtuals, htdocs has quite a few files, some of them large log
files.)

/usr/local/bin/rsync -avzur --timeout=600 --delete -e ssh nova:/etc /tmp/
/usr/local/bin/rsync -avzur --timeout=600 --delete -e ssh nova:/usr/home /usr/
/usr/local/bin/rsync -avzur --timeout=600 --delete -e ssh
nova:/root/.pgp /root/
/usr/local/bin/rsync -avzur --timeout=600 --delete -e ssh
nova:/var/db/mysql /va
r/db/
/usr/local/bin/rsync -avzur --timeout=600 --delete -e ssh
nova:/usr/local/apache
/htdocs /usr/local/apache/

Oddly, it sometimes manages to complete all the htdocs directories,
but that's becoming more and more infrequent.

Any ideas?

.\\ichelle
Michelle Brownsworth
System Administrator