one log for each module

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Sat Oct 27 02:59:08 EST 2001

Well, Ivan, it's not in the code, at least, not yet.  How about this for a
simple solution.  use syslog.  Choose an unused facility.  make the
destination a program.  Perl is probably the best tool for this.
filehandle named for module called.  they can be generated on the fly. the
process id is used to direct the "wrote somany bytes" lines to the right
file.  You could do it with a growing array of filehandles, or simply
opening and closing the filehandles in append mode, as needed.  I prefer
the second one, as it makes it possible to manage the logs without
restarting.  Of course, you'll have one log program running continuously,
with a line feeder called by syslog.

Actually, it would probably be easier to just make the syslog destination
a fifo, and read that from the perl script.  I've had bad luck with fifos,
but maybe perl does a better job handling them than the shell scripts i
was using.
Good luck.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Ivan Renedo <ivan at odtsl.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org