rsync recursion question

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Oct 24 22:42:04 EST 2001

Now, that's a good solution.  if it MUST be done over rsync, and it's not there, write it in yourself.  It's amazing, sometimes, the things people want added into a generic tool, and they expect Tridge or Dave to write and maintain it.  It's a tool for
non-interactively maintaining directory trees, and adding in an option to do a "rsh remotehost rm" wouldn't be a normal function.  Your situation is different.  Almost nobody writes to rsyncd, especially not huge trees.  Glad to see it's working well for
you.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips
Available as n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn, 19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970), ".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

                    Justin Banks
                    <justinb at tricord.           To:  Tim Conway/LMT/SC/PHILIPS at AMEC
                    com>                        cc:  justinb at tricord.com
                    Sent by:                     rsync at lists.samba.org
                    rsync-admin at lists            rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
                    .samba.org                  Subject:  Re: rsync recursion question

                                                Classification:
                    10/23/2001 08:08
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    justinb

  Tim> That's the way it is.  If it's really a one-off change, a huge change
  Tim> in your structure, telnet ssh, rsh, and so forth, work really well for
  Tim> dropping in and deleting stuff (unless you're supplying the master, and
  Tim> other systems out of your control copy from you).  Rsync is opTimized
  Tim> for taking a filesystem in an unknown state, and making it identical to
  Tim> another filesystem in an unknown state, using network bandwidth as
  Tim> efficiently as possible.

Well, that doesn't cut it here. It seemed like all the guts were there - I
mean, the functionality already exists on the receiving side, mostly, right?
Anyway, I took a look, and I added an option (-d). This means that you can do

rsync --delete -d /some/removed/directory foo at wherever::module:/some/removed

and the remote side will remove /some/removed/directory. It will work whether
it's a file or directory. Let me know if anyone wants a patch, if this is a
feature that would help other folks. I can't imagine people are in my
particular circumstances, where the source filesystem is on the order of a
terabyte, but you never know ;)

-justinb

Justin Banks Tricord, Inc. justinb at tricord.com
'We have no intention of shipping another bloated operating system and
forcing that down the throats of our Windows customers'
  -- Paul Maritz, Microsoft Group Vice President