hanging issues

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Oct 24 22:34:08 EST 2001

There's a program to apply patches, typically called "patch"
Try "man patch".
If your system doesn't have, and can't get patch, just read the patches and edit the appropriate files by hand.  It's not particularly difficult.

Incidentally, I want to point out that there's no good reason to cc rsync-admin at lists.samba.org on a regular post.  I've been seeing a lot of that lately.

Also, questions like this aren't even rsync questions.  I'm sure there's something like comp.os.unix.introduction, or something similar, on usenet.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips
Available as n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn, 19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970), ".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

                    Raj
                    <rgoud at yahoo.com>           To:  rsync at lists.samba.org
                    Sent by:                     rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
                    rsync-admin at lists           cc:  (bcc: Tim Conway/LMT/SC/PHILIPS)
                    .samba.org                  Subject:  hanging issues

                                                Classification:
                    10/23/2001 07:52
                    PM

Hi List,
I was going through the rsync archives to find any
patches to deal with hanging issues, seems to be there
are patches but there are no instructions on how to
apply these patches. For instance the following email
points to the links where we can download patches

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Steve Ladendorf wrote:
> Is there something I'm doing wrong?  What can I do
to prevent rsync from
> hanging all the time??

If you avoid using -v, that can help rsync not to
hang.  However, a
better fix is to apply this patch:

    http://www.clari.net/~wayne/rsync-nohang1.patch

This fixes a very common hang problem, and makes -v
safe to use again.

Since you are also transferring large quantities of
files, I would be
very interested in knowing if rsync still hangs after
applying that
patch.  If it does, try applying this patch:

    http://www.clari.net/~wayne/rsync-nohang2.patch

The second patch fixes a much rarer bug, and it would
be great to know
if someone had run into it in simple, real-world
conditions.

How do I apply these patches, could someone help me on
that.
Thanks in advance

Raj

=====