Generating cpio list.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk olczyk at interaccess.com
Wed Oct 24 17:30:59 EST 2001

One of the things I want to do besides mirror a hard drive is
maintain an incremental backup on tape.
The way for me to do this ( of course ) is to take the
output of rsync and use it to generate a list of files for cpio.
The basic ideal is something like this

declare -i head tail
# gets the first line with total: at the begining
head=$(grep -n ^total: $log_rsync|awk -F: '{print $1}')
head=$head-1
# chop off first two lines
tail=$head-2
head -n $head $log_rsync|tail -n $tail -|grep -v uptodate|cpio -o >
/tape_device

Is this a way of accurately generating the list of modified files?
Also does it make sense to set the -a option of cpio ( it doesn't
if rsync modifies the atime of the source files ).
TIA