Connection Timeout

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Oct 24 07:55:30 EST 2001

There you go.  "rsync -vn --timeout=0 frank at server.domain.com::webfiles /local_user/frank/myjsppages", and add the password when it asks, IF it asks.  did you set up the rsyncd.conf with security?  If not, it's "rsync -vn --timeout=0
server.domain.com::webfiles /local_user/frank/myjsppages".  The ssh stuff will only make it fail, as you're trying to use rsync's internal transport, rather than relying on an external one.
Now, you know, adding -n will mean it will only say what i WOULD do if not running as a dry run (-n== --dry-run), so don't be surprised when nothing transfers.  Also, as the webfiles is a module, it's a directory.  rsync won't just transfer a directory.
see example:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
atlas{karrie}% rsync willy::
big
big1
ToolSyncModules
sjt-tools-master1
sjt-tools1
sjt-tools2
Tools
atlas{karrie}% rsync willy::big .
client: nothing to do: perhaps you need to specify some filenames or the --recursive option?
atlas{karrie}%
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You'll want to refer to its contents somehow, either just that top level, with /* or simply /, or by a -r (or -r-implying) option.
rsyncd at leasts responds, (the telnet trick).  You're also well on your way to understanding... most people failing to go to a rsyncd aren't even using the correct syntax to refer to the remote resource.

I can finally delete these stupid security disclaimers.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips
Available as n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn, 19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970), ".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

                    "Jeff Sims"
                    <sims at interex           To:  Tim Conway/LMT/SC/PHILIPS at AMEC
                    .org>                   cc:
                                            Subject:  Re: Connection Timeout
                    10/23/2001
                    03:07 PM                Classification:

Tim,

The commandline is as shown below:
/opt/rsync/bin/rsync -vn --timeout=0 -e ssh
frank at server.domain.com::webfiles /local_user/frank/myjsppages

If I telnet to port 873 on the local machine or any machine on my local
network I get the following:
# telnet localhost 873
Trying...
Connected to localhost.interex.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
@RSYNCD: 24

If I telnet to port 873 from an outside network it doesn't give feedback,
just says Trying.... and doesn't move.

Here is the feedback from the ssh server.domain.com rsync --version
command:
ssh server.domain.com rsync --version
frank at server.domain.com's password:
rsync version 2.4.6  protocol version 24

Written by Andrew Tridgell and Paul Mackerras

The file /etc/services has this line present:
rsync        873/tcp                 # Rsync server

The file /etc/inetd.conf has the following line:
rsync   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /opt/rsync/bin/rsync rsyncd
--daemon

I think this covered all of your inquiries and I hope this info is useful.
Thanks for all your help so far.

Jeff