Using rsync to mirror a hard drive.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk olczyk at interaccess.com
Tue Oct 23 04:36:04 EST 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:56:42 -0600, tim.conway at philips.com wrote:

> think what he actually wants is $? (in csh, $status).  Maybe something like most people use:

Sigh a second mistake. I seem to be in a mistake prone state the last
few days. Not a good thing when setting up a backup system. I suppose
it's because I'm in a hurry to get the backup setup ( basically my
pants are down around my knee's while I'm not backing up ).
>+WARNING TO THADDEUS+
>your syntax will not do what you want.
>/mirror is under /
>that means the every time you rsync, you put the contents of /mirror into /mirror/mirror, then /mirror/mirror/mirror.
>You double the info every sync (+/- changes)
>man rsync
>note --exclude=
Know that, but I don't expect that it will be a problem with this
particular run since I expect rsync to fail long before that ( I'm
testing to see what kind of return happens when it fails. The man
page doesn't seem to mention it, and some programms don't follow
the rules. )
I expect to tackle excludes after I get past this problem.