Exclude

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Sat Oct 20 01:40:58 EST 2001

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 07:00:14AM -0600, tim.conway at philips.com wrote:
> --daemon doesn't take the ---exclude* options.  Put "exclude from = /etc/rsync.exclude" in your rsyncd.conf.

Yes, and I noticed a couple other mistakes too:

> "Chao,Eisen R." <Eisen.Chao at cna.com>@lists.samba.org on 10/18/2001 05:52:29 PM
>
> Sent by:  rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
>

> To:     "'rsync at lists.samba.org'" <rsync at lists.samba.org>
> cc:      (bcc: Tim Conway/LMT/SC/PHILIPS)
> Subject:  Re: Exclude
> Classification:
>

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm running rsync between an NT client and a Solaris 7 Server (Ver 2.4.6).
>
> I'd like to be able to exclude the following directory:
>
>      /opt/IBMHTTPDLOG/archivelogs
>
> but retrieve
>
>      /opt/IBMHTTPDLOG
>
> My setup is:
>
>      rsync -av -p -e rsync at server1.cna.com:/opt/IBMHTTPDLOG/
> F:/opt/IBMHTTDLOG
>      (client)

-e takes a parameter of a command like rsh which I don't see above.
Since you got as far as you did, I'm assuming you must have not copied
your command line accurately into your email.

>      rsync --daemon --exclude-from=/etc/rsync.exclude
>      (server)

Oh, if you intended to connect to a daemon you should have used the
double colon syntax in the command line above.  If you're connecting to
a daemon, a "-e <command_name>" is ignored.  I suspect you don't want to
use the daemon mode at all, and just let your rsync client launch the
rsync on the remote side via rsh.  Then a "--exclude /archivelogs/" on
the client side command line should do what you want.

- Dave Dykstra

> What I get is *everything* including the contents of the dir ./archivelogs.
> What is the proper syntax ? I've tried setting up my entry in rsync.exclude
> as:
>
>      '/opt/IBMHTTPDLOG/archivelogs'
>      archivelogs/
>      'archivelogs/'
>      ./archivelogs
>      ./archivelogs/
>
> I've also tried setting the server-side rsync daemon as --exclude
> <blah-blah> to no avail.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eisen Chao

- Dave Dykstra