ssh->rsync->newbie

David Dahl david at ddahl.com
Sun Oct 14 04:50:44 EST 2001

warning: rsync/sysadmin newbie question...

I want to sync the web directory from my production server to my
backup server (through ssh).  rsync is working fine, except that it
doesn't seem to authenticate my rsync user which is not a system
user.  If  I run the command  manually, sshd asks for the far end
user's password.  If I use that user's password, the files are
rsynced to a direcory inside the user's home directory, (i.e.:
/root/www/).

Do I need to write a shell script that allows for sshd authentication
and rsyncd authenication?  Does anyone have an example script that
uses the same procedure?

here are my config files and command:

rsyncd.conf:
================

motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock
max connections = 2
[www]
path = /var/www/html
comment = path to HTDOCS dir
uid = nobody
gid = nobody
read only = no
list = yes
auth users = www
hosts allow = 10.10.10.10
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt

==============
rsyncd.scrt:
www:password

rsync command:

rsync --verbose  --progress --stats --compress --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh \
       --recursive --times --perms --links --delete \
   /www/htdocs/* 10.10.10.10:www

thanks in advance!

David Dahl